Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
I got this from the Food Network show Semi Homemade Cooking with Sandra Lee.
- 4 (1 lb) whole trout, cleaned with heads and tails removed
- 1 (16 ounce) bottlecajun marinade (recommended ( A-1 Steakhunter)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green pepper celery and onion
- 1⁄4 teaspoon liquid smoke (recommended ( Wright's)
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- 1⁄4 cup real crumbled cooked bacon
- butcher kitchen twine, 12 pieces, 6 to 8 inches long
- 8 slices thick-cut bacon
- Set up grill for direct cooking over medium heat. Oil grate when ready to start cooking.
- Place trout in large zip-top bag and cover with marinade; reserve 1/4 cup of marinade for sauce. Marinate for 30 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, combine reserved marinade, tomatoes, liquid smoke, Cajun seasoning, and crumbled bacon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes; set aside.
- Lay 3 pieces of butcher twine horizontally on a sheet pan, evenly spaced. Lay 1 slice of bacon vertically on top of butcher twine. Place 1 fish on top of bacon slice. Top fish with another slice of bacon. Tie each piece of twine so that you have 3 knots securely holding the fish in place. Repeat process with all remaining fish. Place whole fish on grill. Cook for a total of 15 to 18 minutes, turning every 3 to 4 minutes. Watch for flare-ups from bacon slices. Remove from grill. Untie twine from fish. Top with Cajun tomato sauce and serve warm.
- INDOOR: Prepare and marinate trout as directed. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Place prepared trout on foil lined baking sheet. Roast fish for 30 minutes. Serve as directed.