Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
One day DH wanted biscuits and gravy, but I didn't have sausage, only bacon. So, I found a recipe online and went for it. Thus, bacon gravy was born!
- Preheat a large skillet to medium-hi. Place 6 slices of bacon in the skillet and cook until just under crispy.
- Remove bacon from skillet and drain; set aside. Discard all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease.
- Add flour to grease, and whisk together. Cook for about a minute without burning the flour.
- Add milk; whisk together.
- Heat until bubbling. Simmer for 5-10 minutes, until sauce starts to thicken.
- Meanwhile, crumble bacon. Add salt and pepper (to taste), and bacon to gravy. Allow to simmer until desired consistency.
- Serve over biscuits.
This is a really good recipe. We were raised on bacon gravy over toast or biscuits or mashed potatoes... My only problem is with the instruction, "Discard all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease." Nooooooooooo! You save the extrq bacon grease in a sealed container in the fridge for other uses. You might as well throw away money because you have enough. ;-) This is a really good recipe. I urge you to try it. It's better than sausage gravy.
I grew up with bacon gravy, but its seems that the only kind you ever find anywhere is sausage gravy. My mother always cut the raw bacon into bits then fried it up til it was extremely crispy. Then proceeded from there. Oh...its sooooo good!!!
We grew up on Bacon gravy, and there's no better summer breakfast to be had than Bacon Gravy, Biscuits, and fresh from the garden Tomatos. Yum-Yum