Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
Wonderful side dish or appetizer at any barbecue. I got this one from "Southern Living" magazine. If using long wooden picks soak in water 30 minutes prior to threading with onion wedges.
- 2 large sweet onions, such as vidalia, cut in wedges
- 8 slices thick hickory smoked bacon, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- Wrap onion wedges with bacon; secure with long wooden picks.
- Place in a large shallow dish.
- Combine sugar, vinegar, and molasses; drizzle over onion wedges.
- Cover and chill 1 hour.
- Remove onion wedges from marinade, reserving marinade.
- Grill, covered with grill lid, over medium-high heat (350-400°F) 20 minutes or until onion wedges are crisp tender, turning and basting occasionally with reserved marinade.
OH, somebody pinch me!! I have got to be dreaming!! I made these with grilled sirloin for the fam. and grilled chicken breast for me, fresh green salad...Heaven!! Wouldn't change a thing! Thanks, yooper!
Great taste, but HARD to put together. Between the slick onion and the slick bacon, it took me twice as long to put together as I'd originally thought. Next time, I'll use one full slice of bacon instead of a half slice. I'll also consider two additional things: first, make twice as much marinade so that it can really be slathered on, and second, I may use turkey bacon, which should be very tasty and cut down on the fat content. Still, this really was a very tasty side dish - very, very nice recipe!
Stick toothpick from side to side. ->- this keeps onion together while it cooks. GREAT for everyone. all loved it Easy, make ahead and devour...