Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
I serve this on special occasions. You may be able to substitute white potatoes, but with the Italian Fontina I prefer this with unpeeled red potatoes.
- 3 lbs red potatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons fresh garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 5 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1⁄4 cup fresh chives, chopped
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3⁄4-1 cup italian Fontina cheese, coarsely shredded
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan. Cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and then lower heat and simmer 20- 25 minutes or until tender.
- Drain the potatoes into a colander. Return the potatoes to the saucepan. Over medium heat continuously shake the potatoes to remove any excess moisture 15-20 seconds. Remove them from the saucepan.
- Rice or mash the potatoes. Return the prepared potatoes to the saucepan--no heat now.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat add the precombined garlic through cream, gently stirring till the butter melts. Pour this sauce onto the potatoes, stirring to mix.
- Add the bacon through pepper; hand mix to combine. Taste and adjust for seasonings. Spoon seasoned potatoes onto plates and top with cheese.
This was the perfect potato side dish to go with our prime rib Christmas dinner. We kept them warm in a crockpot which worked out great. Even better as leftovers! Thanks for posting this fabulous recipe!