Recipe by peachez
I serve this on special occasions. You may be able to substitute white potatoes, but with the Italian Fontina I prefer this with unpeeled red potatoes.
Top Review by Marie
This was the perfect potato side dish to go with our prime rib Christmas dinner. We kept them warm in a crockpot which worked out great. Even better as leftovers! Thanks for posting this fabulous recipe!
- 3 lbs red potatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons fresh garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 5 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1⁄4 cup fresh chives, chopped
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3⁄4-1 cup italian Fontina cheese, coarsely shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan. Cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and then lower heat and simmer 20- 25 minutes or until tender.
- Drain the potatoes into a colander. Return the potatoes to the saucepan. Over medium heat continuously shake the potatoes to remove any excess moisture 15-20 seconds. Remove them from the saucepan.
- Rice or mash the potatoes. Return the prepared potatoes to the saucepan--no heat now.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat add the precombined garlic through cream, gently stirring till the butter melts. Pour this sauce onto the potatoes, stirring to mix.
- Add the bacon through pepper; hand mix to combine. Taste and adjust for seasonings. Spoon seasoned potatoes onto plates and top with cheese.