Prep 1 hr
Cook 15 mins
This one bite appetizer/snack recipe was given to me by a co-worker. I made these Gluten Free and Celiac friendly by substituting a GF equivalent for the flour - and they still turned out great!
- Beat cream cheese and butter in a large bowl until smooth. Add flour. Mix well. Shape into a slightly flattened disc. Wrap with plastic wrap. Chill at least 1 hour.
- Heat large frying pan on medium. Add bacon and onion. Cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until bacon is crisp. Remove from heat. Drain.
- Add next 4 ingredients. Stir well. Transfer to a small bowl. Cool to room temperature
- Roll out pastry on lightly floured surface to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut out circles with 2 1/2 inch round cookie cutter. Spoon 1 tsp bacon mixture onto centre of each circle.
- Brush 1/2 of each circle with egg. Fold pastry over filling. Press edges together with fork to seal or tightly pinch with fingers. Arrange on 2 greased baking sheets. Brush tops with egg. Cut small vents in tops of turnovers to allow steam to escape.
- Bake in 450°F oven for about 10 minutes until golden.
- Make ahead: The baked turnovers may be stored in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 1 month. Arrange the frozen turnovers on a greased baking sheet and bake in a 400°F oven for about 10 minutes or until heated through.
Everyone else loved this and they were gone very quickly. I guess I just don't like turnovers.