Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Quantities depend on how much pastry you have.
- shortcrust pastry
- 6 slices lean bacon
- 2 large potatoes, finely sliced
- 3 -4 large eggs
- salt & pepper
- Line a shallow quiche tin with some of the pastry (reserve some for the lid) Grill the rashers of bacon.
- Remove rind (and fat if you prefer) cut into bite size pieces and spread over the base of the pie.
- Sauté the thinly sliced potatoes, spread those over the bacon, season with pepper but very little salt (as the bacon may be salty).
- Lightly beat 3 or four eggs Season and pour over the filling.
- Place the pastry lid on top.
- seal the edges and brush with a little milk.
- Bake at 200°C for 15 minutes to set the pastry then reduce the heat to 180°C for 45 minutes or until golden.
- Variations: You can use chopped boiled eggs if you prefer.
- If you don’t eat bacon, sauté a sliced onion and add some minced beef; sauté until cooked and season well.