Prep 40 mins
Cook 15 mins
From the AWW.
- 4 slice bacon, chopped (rashers)
- 8 sheet phyllo pastry
- 100 g butter, melted
- 12 medium eggs (55g each)
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 177.44 ml grated cheddar cheese
- 29.58 ml finely chopped fresh chives
- fresh coarse ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to moderately hot (200°C). Grease a 12 hole (1/3 cup capacity) muffin pan.
- Cook bacon in heated pan, stirring, about 5 minutes or until brown and crispy; drain on absorbent paper.
- Cut 48 x 10cm squares from pastry sheets. Brush squares with butter place 4 squares over base, extending up sides, of each prepared pan hole. Break eggs into holes, top with tomato, cheese and bacon, bake in moderately hot oven, uncovered, about 15 minutes or until egg is cooked and cheese has melted. Carefully lift pies out of pan.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with chives and pepper.
If you try this the oven temp (200) isnt' F....it's C....don't make the same mistake I made. I had to increase the temp to 350 after the 15 minutes at 200 and bake another 10 minutes. The yolk was cooked throughly though and I'm sure the original recipe had the yolk "sunny side" consistency. Also, don't expect the Phyllo to be crispy...it's just a vehicle for the egg/bacon "muffin" to come out together. You could always use rolled out biscuit dough for a base.