Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Adapted from a recipe in Faith Durand's "Not Your Mother's Casseroles." You need 1 lb of peeled potatoes, so you should start with about 1 1/4 lb. You can double this and make it in a 9x13 pan.
- 1 lb peeled potato
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese or 1 cup monterey jack cheese
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease an 8x8 baking dish with non-stick spray an set aside.
- Microwave peeled potato on high until barely tender, 3-4 minutes. Allow to cool slightly, then cut into 1/4" dice.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, heat oil until shimmering. Add the onion and a pinch of salt. Saute until onions are soft and translucent, about 5 minute Add garlic, bell peppers and half the salt, Saute until the peppers are fragrant and soft, about 5 minutes more. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Whisk together eggs and milk with remaining salt and pepper. Add 3/4 c cheese, potatoes, crumbled bacon and sauteed vegetables. Stir well and spread into baking dish.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Spread remaining cheese on top and return to oven until cheese is melted and top is puffy, about 15 minutes more. Serve at once.