Recipe by The Pantry Elf
These are my ultimate party sandwiches! So simple, so yummy, so budget friendly. This is my most requested party food. I usually make this with 2 loaves of pumpernickle for a party, but you could scale it down for a small picnic or get together. Just be careful to add the seasoning to your tastes! I cook the bacon the night before to save time the next day.
Top Review by True Texas
This recipe has been in my to make file for serval years. Finally made them Christmas Eve and all the family loved them even picky husbands . Only change I did was by 2 packages of 8 ounce cream cheese and used probably half of the package seasoning. Next time I will buy 1-8 ounce and 1 -3 ounce I think of cream cheese. But definitely a winner I have eaten a few of the leftoverss for breakfast.
- 2 loaves pumpernickel bread (about 12-14 thin slices per loaf)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 (5/8 ounce) packet Good Seasonings Italian salad dressing mix
- 1 cucumber
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb thin sliced bacon
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook bacon in a 400 degree oven until crisp, being careful not to burn it, about 10-14 minutes. If you prefer, you could fry it in a pan or on the griddle. (I usually cook the bacon the night before) Drain well and let cool.
- In a bowl, mix the cream cheese and seasoning packet together. (Adjust this to your taste - the seasoning tends to be salty, so pour about 1/4 packet at a time.).
- Thinly slice the cucumber and set it aside.
- Spread 2 slices of pumpernickle with a thin layer of the cream cheese mixture. On one slice, layer the cucumber and bacon, and top with the other slice of bread (cream cheese on both slices of bread holds the sandwich together nicely).
- Cut the sandwich into triangles and serve.