Recipe by Lainey6605
Bacon and apple pie? Sounds interesting so I had to save it here. Recipe is from Rachael Ray's magazine.
Top Review by Marla Swoffer
It really doesn't get much better than this--total comfort food. I wanted the bacon to permeate the pie, so I briefly sauteed the apples in the bacon grease, and then mixed them with the sugar, omitting the lemon peel. I also used various old apples which made them tenderize faster, so I only had to bake it for about 20 minutes, though I did increase the heat to 425. I actually made this for dinner and it was a huge hit with my husband and kids--everyone had seconds! Next time I may add more cheese and maybe mix some in with the apples.
- 1⁄2 lb sliced bacon
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small cubes
- 1⁄2 cup extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 golden delicious apples, peeled, cored and sliced 1/4 inch thick (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon peel, grated
- 1 (9 inch) store-bought pie shells, prebaked according to package directions
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In large skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon until crisp; drain and crumble.
- In medium bowl, combine the flour and brown sugar, add the butter and, using your fingers, incorporate the butter until the mixture is crumbly.
- Stir in the bacon and cheese; refrigerate.
- Line a baking sheet with foil.
- In medium bowl, toss the apples with the granulated sugar and lemon peel.
- Transfer to the pie shell and sprinkle with the topping.
- Place the pie on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
- Cover loosely with foil and bake until golden and the apples are tender when pierced, 40-45 minutes.
- Let cool before serving.