Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This was a huge success. Peas with pasta does sound strange, and my DH wasnt keen at first, but he loved it, the peas really compliment the bacon. This is a recipe from Ainsley Harriott.
- 8 slices bacon, cut into small slices
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 lb penne pasta (quills)
- 120 ml dry white wine
- 300 ml passata
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 150 ml creme fraiche
- 4 ounces tinned sweet peas, drained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Add a splash of water to the skillet and fry bacon for 2-3 minutes until lightly browned (no oil is needed as bacon provides plenty of fat). Add the onion and stir for another minute or two until softened.
- Meanwhile, cook the penne according to package instructions, in a pot of salted water.
- Pour the wine into the bacon mixture and allow to bubble down, then stir in the passata and oregano. Bring to a simmer, then stir in creme fraiche. Season to taste. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes until slightly reduced and thickened. Stir in the peas and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain and rinse in hot water, shaking the pasta to get water out of the tubes. Fold in the bacon and pea mixture, and season to taste.