Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
These hearty Bacon-Corn Muffins are a delicious way to enjoy breakfast on the run. (Taken from the Robin Hood site.) Can be frozen in air-tight container.
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 cup robin hood all-purpose flour
- 1 cup purity cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 (10 ounce) can creamed corn
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup melted bacon drippings
- COOK bacon until crisp.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Crumble and set aside.
- Reserve 1/4 cup (50 mL) bacon fat drippings.
- COMBINE flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt in mixing bowl.
- BEAT egg, corn, milk and bacon drippings together thoroughly.
- ADD liquid ingredients all at once to dry ingredients.
- Stir just until moistened.
- STIR in bacon.
- FILL greased muffin cups 3/4 full.
- BAKE at 375°F (190°C) for 15-20 minutes, or until top springs back when lightly touched.
- SERVE warm.
I followed this recipe exactly, but was disappointed by the muffins' lack of flavor. I'm not sure what seasonings would be good-maybe hot sauce? They're also very crumbly and difficult to eat.