Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
A delicious corn chowder (with bacon) that tastes great anytime of year. Since this is one of my favorite's, I usually prepare a double batch.
- 6 slices bacon, cooked, crumbled and set aside
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 (14 3/4 ounce) can creamed corn
- 7 1⁄2 ounces creamed corn (1/2 of one 14.75 oz. can)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- In a large soup pot, (12 cup capacity) add the water, potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, salt, pepper and thyme.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes (until vegetables are some what tender) do not drain.
- Add the 1-1/2 cans of creamed corn, and bacon.
- Keep covered, and cook over very low heat.
- Intructions to cooking the White Sauce --.
- In a medium- size saucepan, (over low heat) add the butter until melted.
- In a glass measuring cup, combine the milk and cornstarch; mix well.
- Raise the heat just abit, and add the milk-cornstarch mixture.
- Keep stirring until it becomes somewhat thick.
- Add the shredded cheese; stir until completely melted.
- Add this to the corn chowder, stir and heat through thoroughly, but do not boil.
I just made this...and just taste tested it...OMG, it is very good and very fast! Love it!
Very tasty! I made the normal version for the hubs, and a lactose free version for myself by using margarine and plain (not low fat) soy milk for the white sauce. It was great with and without the cheese. Try it with pepper crust bacon, SOUL warming!
I love this soup, I make it as often as I can with out my family feeling like all they ever get is corn chowder! The only thing I do differently is use half whole kernel corn and half cream corn and cook the vegetable in chicken stock (I just use bullion) that way I cut out the salt. It is delicious.