Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
These waffles are delicious and you could use either fresh corn or canned. It comes from Cafe 222 in San Diego.
- 1⁄2 cup sweetcorn
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup whole milk or 1 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg white
- 1⁄3 cup melted margarine
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled cooked thick-cut bacon
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Melt butter in small skillet and saute corn for 3 minutes.
- Set aside.
- Sift together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Slowly add the buttermilk, milk, eggs and melted margarine.
- Gently stir until combined but not smooth.
- Fold in the bacon, corn and cheddar.
- Cook in waffle maker.
These were good and different. My husband ate them with a bit of syrup and I ate them plain. Loved the cornmeal in these waffles. I too had a lot and froze them for later. Thanks!
These were a delicious and easy meal -- the recipe does make a lot more than the 6 waffles listed -- my Beligian wafflemaker makes 4x4-inch waffles and it made 18 of them, which is great because they freeeze and reheat beautifully. They have a nice, crispy texture and a great flavor.