This is my most requested recipe for parties. Everyone is always stunned at how simple the ingredients are. If you are serving a large number of people, you may want to double the recipe, I have seen folks stumble over each other to reach the last weenie on the platter!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray 9x13 inch cake pan with non stick spray.
- (not neccessary but will definately help with clean up) Open package of bacon and cut entire slab into thirds.
- Wrap a third of a slice of bacon around each cocktail weenie and secure with toothpicks.
- Place each bacon wrapped weenie in cake pan, making sure to crowd them together.
- (You'll want to leave an empty space in one corner of pan for ease of basting.) Liberally cover weenies with brown sugar, leaving only the toothpicks exposed.
- Place weenies in hot oven.
- Every 10 minutes or so, baste weenies with sugar/bacon grease mixture and break up any lumps of sugar.
- Continue until sugar is completely melted and bacon is thoroughly cooked.
- When serving, be sure to drizzle sugar/bacon grease over weenies and on the platter.
- Some people like to swirl their weenies in the syrup before cramming them in their mouths.
- I've never really timed this recipe, but I'm going to guesstimate the time at@30-40 minutes.
- Servings also depend on the crowd you are feeding.
- My crew will argue that 15-20 weenies qualify as a serving!