Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
An easy, quick and delicious recipe from Busy Cooks.
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese or 1 1⁄2 cups colby cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheese cheese or 1 1⁄2 cups plain cheese
- Cook bacon in 12" skillet until crisp, about 4-6 minutes. Crumble bacon and set aside. Pour bacon grease out of skillet, but don't wash or wipe it. Add butter and olive oil to skillet.
- Saute chicken breasts in this mixture over medium heat, turning once, until chicken is almost cooked and just barely pink in center. The internal temperature should be 155 degrees F. This should take 8-10 minutes. Place chicken in ungreased 12x8" baking dish.
- Cook onion and garlic in drippings remaining in skillet. Cook until onion is softened, then stir in salt, pepper, and cooked bacon. Spoon over chicken breasts and sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly cooked and cheese is melted.
This chicken recipe has become a favorite in our family! I'd made it 4-5 times when I realized I had never reviewed it yet -- hands down, it has to be in the Top 10 of all the chicken dishes I've ever made. This last time I used bone-in chicken breasts and just adjusted the cooking time a little. I also omitted the salt as did other reviewers because of the bacon. The first few times I used cheddar cheese in the recipe but I tried a mixture of cheddar/colby this time and really liked it. The colby is a little milder and is nice and creamy when melted. What else can I say -- this recipe is the best of the best. THANK YOU for sharing it with us.
Chickenlicious! I added a half cup of celery when cooking the onions, and topped the whole thing with 1/2 teaspoon of chopped basil and a couple shakes of paprika across the top before cooking. Loved it!
Gailanng this dish is wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing this special treat with all of us. The only change I made was to use a medium cheddar. The dish was quick and easy to make. Loved the flavors of this dish. Cheese, onion, bacon and chicken. The chicken was moist and tender, cooked perfectly. Even the picky dh cleaned his plate. Into my keeperbox this goes. Made for my Pac baby. :)