Who doesn't like bacon cheeseburgers? This is sooooo good and family friendly. PLUS, it's a whole meal in one pot! All 4 of my kids love it, as do me and my husband. It is kind of like "glorified hamburger helper" but you can tell it is from scratch! It's also quick and easy :) This recipe will serve 8, so you may want to half it for a smaller family...however, you probably will wish you hadn't because you will want leftovers!
- 1 lb uncooked pasta (rotini, rotelle, penne, small "or" medium shells, elbow) or 12 ounces egg noodles
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 lb bacon
- 1 small onions, chopped fine or 2 tablespoons minced dried onion
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans condensed tomato soup
- 1 -2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
- 8 ounces shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese (I don't suggest using a milder cheese) or 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese (I don't suggest using a milder cheese)
- Cook pasta in salted water, drain, rinse and set aside.
- Cook bacon in microwave or frying pan until crisp and set aside.
- In a large skillet or deep fryer pan (I use a 12" diam. chicken fryer), brown ground beef and onion over medium heat.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper (I do this while my bacon is in the microwave and my pasta is cooking).
- Drain any grease from beef.
- Crumble bacon into beef and onion mixture.
- Add tomato soup and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add pasta and stir until coated and combined well.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese over the top and cover.
- Simmer for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Serve right out of the pan.
- (You may choose to 1/2 this recipe--we have a big family!).
Make sure you use the salt generously, at least a teaspoon sprinkled on the meat while frying...also, sharp or extra sharp cheddar is a must, mild does not have a lot of flavor. Another thing that would make this taste bland is not using salted water to cook the pasta. We usually have this a couple times a month and we all LOVE it...no one ever thinks it is bland; that is why I am posting the above suggestions.
I modified this recipe for 4 servings and added a few chilli flakes. We loved it, especially my teenage son, and if he cleans his plate then Im happy! Thanks for posting a tasty family meal. =)
This recipe has potential, but needed something to add flavor. I even added some Tobasco but that wasn't enough to spice it up. I also reduced the amount of pasta because the full amuont seemed overwhelming for the meat mixture. Maybe adding chili powder, garlic or mustard would help?? Three stars for "potential".