Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
This recipe came from a friend of mine. I changed it a bit, I have a habit of browning my hamburger in bacon grease after I browned my bacon when any recipes call for both. My kids hate veggies, I made this one week-end for me and DH to have for a meal and left overs the next day. My college kids came home (3 of them) they asked me what was in the pot and boom, not a tsp. was left after we ate. It wasn't even lunch time yet!!! Oh, my teen son saw them eat it and he joined in also!!!! They still hate veggies but not this stuff!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 5 slices bacon, cooked
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup carrot, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 4 cups potatoes, diced
- 3 -4 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 8 ounces Velveeta cheese, diced
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon Lawry's Seasoned Salt (optional)
- cheddar cheese, grated fine
- Cook bacon and crumble, (save grease).
- brown hamburger in bacon grease, drain.
- melt 2 tbls butter.
- saute' onion, carrots, celery.
- ADD: diced potatoes, chicken broth, basil and parsley, boil 10 minutes covered.
- In small skillet melt remaining butter and flour making a rue.
- add to soup, (this will thicken the soup) bring to boil stir 2 minutes. Reduce heat.
- ADD: Velveeta cheese, milk, salt, pepper. try not to boil while adding velveeta, just heat enough to melt cheese.
- Remove from heat and blend in sour cream.
- This is when I add the Lawry season salt to taste.
- Fill bowls and sprinkle with grated fine cheddar cheese.
Great flavor, good thickness. I ate too much. I might put a little more onion in next time but really hit the spot on a cool Oct night.