Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Cheesy, meaty, tomato-ey, and all-around yummy.... I created this when my hubby announced we were having company and I didn't have time to go to the store! Most of the ingredients can be found in your own fridge, larder, or pantry!
- 8 slices thick-cut bacon
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 cup rice
- 16 ounces canned tomato sauce
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon A.1. Original Sauce
- 1 (14 ounce) can water
- 2 cups diced Velveeta cheese
- preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- cook bacon in skillet until crispy, and blot on paper towels and crumble.
- cook onion and ground beef in bacon fat and drain.
- add rice, tomatoes, water, tomato sauce, mustard, and A1.
- bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- add cheese, stir until melted, and put in baking dish, top with bacon.
- bake in oven 30 minutes until bubbly.
This was okay. I don't know that I'd make it again, as the main flavor was velveeta, but it was a relatively easy recipe to put together. Made for Fall PAC 2008.