My husband and father-in-law love this! It's a bit time-consuming, but worth the spectacular results. Truly a handsome dish! From one of those Pillsbury mini-magazine things you buy at the supermarket. Please note that you can use leftover mashed potatoes as well, or make homemade if you really hate instant!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons margarine or 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt (I use garlic powder though, and extra of it)
- 3⁄4 cup milk (skim is fine)
- 2 cups instant mashed potatoes
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided in half
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 2 green onions, sliced (or you can use white onion)
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine ground beef, breadcrumbs, onion, ketchup, mustard and salt and mix well.
- Press hamburger mixture in bottom and up sides of an ungreased 9 inch pie pan to cover completely.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- While meat mixture is baking, cook bacon until crisp.
- Drain on paper towel, cool, and crumble.
- Discard bacon drippings or save for another recipe.
- In a medium sauce pan, combine water, margarine and garlic salt.
- Bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and add milk.
- With a fork, stir in potato flakes.
- Then stir in 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese.
- Remove partially baked"crust" from oven, pour off any fat.
- Spoon potato mixture into crust evenly.
- Return to oven for another 10-15 minutes or until meat is thoroughly cooked, and potatoes are heated through.
- Remove pie from oven.
- Top with tomato, remaining cheese and crumbled bacon.
- Return to oven, and bake for 5 minutes longer, until cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven, top with green onions.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.