Recipe by Ocean~Ivy
This is a wonderful recipe I found online,8) A twist on the cheeseburgers or meatloaf dinner !
Top Review by Ms B.
This is my husband's favorite meatloaf. I don't include the sweet pickle relish, as I don't care for it. Otherwise, I follow the recipe exactly. The leftovers are great cut into slices and served on hamburger buns with lettuce, tomato and ketchup!
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground chuck or 1 1⁄2 lbs ground round
- 1 cup firm fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1 cup coarsely shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped (vidalia)
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- In medium skillet,cook bacon over medium heat until it is limp& some fat is rendered,3-4 minutes.
- Remove bacon from the skillet and reserve it,set aside.
- In large mixing bowl,use your hands to gently but thoroughly mix together: meat,bread crumbs,1/2 cup cheese,onion,mayo,relish,mustard¸å pepper and egg.
- Pat mixture into a shallow 2-quart baking pan.
- Spread top of the loaf with the ketchup then lay bacon strips over the ketchup.
- Bake until loaf is firm& the bacon is crisp,45 to 50 minutes.
- Sprinkling top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese to melt during last 5-10 minutes of baking (Internal temperature should be 155).
- Let meatloaf stand in the baking dish for 10 minutes,then cut into squares to serve.