Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I came up with this combination after making Bacon Cheeseburger Tacos and having a lot of meat left (I didn't put all of it in the shells because only two of us were home at the time). I was afraid that I'd end up throwing out the meat so I decided to make Bacon Cheeseburger Macaroni. Hope you enjoy it as much as my family did!
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni, uncooked (can use rice or corn pasta)
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 2 green onions, sliced, white and part of the green
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 6 tablespoons ketchup
- 3 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 1 (14 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Keep warm.
- In a large skillet, cook the diced bacon until crisp, pour off all but aboaut a half tablespoon of bacon grease.
- Add ground beef and green onions and cook together until beef is thoroughly cooked through.
- Stir in chili powder, salt, and liquid smoke and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add ketchup, mustard, and tomatoes and stir until well combined.
- Stir in cooked macaroni and shredded cheese.
- Cook over low heat for about 5 minutes until cheese is melted and everything is heated through.
We liked this dish. I had been struggling with trying to figure out what to make for supper and couldn't think of anything that uses ingredients I already had. And then I came across your recipe. This was quick and very easy to prepare. I made minor changes by tossing in a couple of pieces extra of the bacon, a tad more cheese and had to use white onion. Thank you for the recipe. I know I'll prepare it again.
I am giving this recipe a 4 instead of 5 because of the texture, not the taste. I did drop back to 1 1/2 TBL of chili powder. After the fact I added a can of tomato sauce, and I think it turned out very nicely. Thanks for a new keeper.
I did make a few changes. I used about 6ounces of macaroni, instead of the whole pound. Made in a 12" cast iron skillet. I also used a lot more scallions. After I got everything mixed together, it looked dry, so I added a 15 ounce of tomato sauce, topped it off with French's fried onions and popped into the oven for about 8-10 minutes to brown the onions. I did skip the liquid smoke since one of my sons doesn't like it. We (four adults and an 11 year old) all Really liked it and would definitely make again! Thanks for a change of pace recipe!