Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This soup does not last long at my house.
- 6 slices of cooked crisp bacon
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup carrot
- 1⁄2 cup celery
- 1⁄2 cup onion
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper
- 4 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 cups milk
- 1 (15 ounce) can chicken broth
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- Put the celery, carrots, onion, and bell pepper in food processor and grate until the vegetables are chopped into tiny pieces. Set aside.
- Cook bacon in a large skillet or in microwave until crisp and chop finely. Save drippings.
- Add vegetables to drippings and cook over low heat until tender. Drain.
- vegetables in colander. In a large pot melt butter. Slowly stir in flour and mix well. Slowly add milk, half and half, and chicken broth. Add salt and pepper.
- Add vegetables and chopped bacon; then cheese. Heat until cheese is melted and soup is hot (but do not let boil).