Recipe by Manami
"These were a staple of my Sunday brunch when I was a line cook at the Admiral Risty restaurant in Rancho Palos Verdes, in Southern California," says Greg Lindgren, who now co-owns some of San Francisco’s best bars, including Rye and 15 Romolo. The decadent take on eggs Benedict includes scrambled eggs "with anything and everything," Greg says. Everything covered with Classic Hollandaise Sauce. This appeared in F&W Magazine, April 07 edition.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 slices Canadian bacon, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1⁄2 cup sliced pitted kalamata olives or 1⁄2 cup pitted black olives
- 2 pickled jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 tomatoes, diced
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 split English muffins, toasted
CLASSIC HOLLANDAISE SAUCE
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (not that bottled stuff!)
- 1 dash hot sauce
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon snipped chives
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil.
- Add the onion and cook over high heat until softened, about 4 minutes.
- Add the bacon and cook, stirring, until very lightly browned, about 2 minutes.
- Add the olives, jalapeños and tomato and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the eggs and scramble, scraping down the sides with a rubber spatula, until just set, about 2 minutes.
- Add the Gruyère and stir just until melted.
- Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the toasted English muffins on 4 plates.
- Spoon the scrambled eggs on the muffins and top with the Hollandais Sauce.
- CLASSIC HOLLANDAISE SAUCE:.
- In a medium heatproof bowl set over heat w/out the bottom touching the large saucepan with 2 inches of simmering water, whisk the egg yolks with the cold water and salt until warm to the touch.
- Slowly drizzle in half of the melted butter in a thin stream, whisking constantly until incorporated.
- Continue whisking the melted until the sauce is thick and emulsified.
- Whish in the lemon juice, hot sauce and Worcestershire sauce and serve warm.
- Garnish with chives and serve right away.
- *TIP: The sauce can be kept warm over the hot water bath off the heat for 30 minutes. Whisk occasionally and reheat over hot water.