Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Growing up in PA Dutch country this became one of my favorite ways to eat tomatoes. This is a hand-me-down from Mom. This pie is as good for leftovers as it is first time around.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Fry bacon until crisp and drain on paper towels.
- Unroll Crescent dough and separate into 8 triangles.
- Place triangles into 9-inch pie plate with narrow point toward center. Press pieces together to form crust.
- Sprinkle bacon over crust.
- Top with tomato slices.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place cheese slices on top of tomatoes.
- Beat egg whites until stiff and set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, combine egg yolk, sour cream, flour, salt, and a dash of pepper.
- Blend well then gently fold beaten egg whites into mixture until a few lumps of egg white remain. Do NOT overblend.
- Pour mixture over cheese layer and sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until crust and top are golden brown and knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- This may be assembled and refrigerated 3-4 hours before baking.
This was just delicious,it may be my favorite way to eat tomatoes too!Thank you, very,very tasty! I liked that you could make it ahead of time,and refigerate.Rose of Sharon