Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
from Kraft Food and Family.
- 3 cups nonfat milk or 3 cups milk
- 10 3⁄4 ounces condensed cream of potato soup
- 2 cups hash brown potatoes, frozen
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 slices bacon, cooked & crumbled
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, chopped
- mix milk and soup in large saucepan.
- stir in potatoes.
- bring to boil over high heat, stirring occasionally.
- reduce heat to med-low.
- simmer 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- ladle into 6 bowls.
- top evenly with cheese, bacon and onions.
This was easy to make. I followed the recipe other then I added the bacon and cheese that was suppose to go on top, directly to the soup which I feel gave it more flavor.
The boyfriend is a huge fan of potato anything, and we spent most of the winter trying out potato soup recipes. This was by far the best. I didn't want it to be (fresh potatoes are real food unlike hash browns yada yada yada), but it was. The texture was consistently smooth, the flavor was great, and this didn't take long for a potato soup recipe. The only change we made was that we used turkey bacon. Since turkey bacon doesn't crisp the same way pork does, we just left it in the soup from the beginning and the entire soup ended up with a mild bacony flavor, which of course is a win. This is definitely the recipe I'll stick to in the future.
This was really good, but I made a few changes due to what I had on hand. I only had real potatoes instead of frozen...so it took a little longer to cook. It took about 30 - 40 minutes with real potatoes. Otherwise, it was very yummy and my dh said it taste like Bennigan's potato soup. So sad that Bennigan's is no longer in business. Very good soup!