Recipe by poorboy7325
This soup is my own recipe and is easy to make. It's thick and creamy texture is very filling and combined with a crusty french bread becomes a meal unto itself. Reheats on the stove or in the microwave very well so don't be afraid to make this several days ahead of time.
Top Review by Areesa73
This soup was excellent! I made it according to the recipe. It was easy to make, and warms up great for leftovers. It is very cheesy. I don't care for sharp cheddar, but I used it anyway, and it was delicious. The sharpness is mellowed by the cream. I thought it made more than 6 to 8 servings. I believe it made about 13 Cups of soup.
Next time, I am going to double the bacon and use "whipping cream" instead of "heavy whipping cream", to try to cut back the calories. I am also going to increase the amount of potatoes. I thought about trying half and half, and then cutting out one of the Cups of water, but I'm not sure I want to ruin the soup.
I would highly recommend this. I had compliments from everyone that tried it. It has gone into my "Favorites" cookbook.
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 5 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 12 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 pint whipping cream
- 2 cups water
- 3 ounces bacon bits (Hormel or Oscar Meyers)
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- seasoned croutons, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop onions and celery, if using a food processor don’t chop these too fine.
- In a large saucepan, sauté onion and celery in 4 ounces of butter until tender.
- Add potatoes and broth, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes till potatoes are tender.
- In a small skillet, melt remaining 4 ounces of butter, add flour to make roux, cook roux over low heat until yellow blond in color and set aside.
- To cooked potato and broth mixture, add water, cream and roux stirring continuously until mixture thickens.
- Stir in the cheese, bacon bits, parsley, pepper and paprika.
- Cook over low heat until the cheese is melted, stir continuously and remove from heat when cheese is melted.
- Garnish with croutons, if desired.