Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Excellent muffin recipe. I usually make them for a breakfast dish. This recipe is from the "Family Circle" or "Woman's Day" magazine, 2005.
- 5 slices bacon
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a dozen muffin cups with paper liners and set aside.
- Cook bacon in large skillet or microwave until crisp.
- Transfer to paper towels to drain; reserve 2 tablespoons bacon fat from pan.
- Whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Then stir cheese into mixture.
- In a small bowl, beat together egg and milk; stir into dry mixture.
- Crumble bacon.
- Add bacon, reserved bacon drippings and melted butter to batter.
- Fold until blended.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin pan.
- Bake about 20 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
These turned out a little dry for me.. maybe I didn't correctly measure the bacon fat. Also I bought the cheapest corn meal in the store, maybe that was the problem. I'll try again though because I think it's a good base recipe.
I really love them. I added some onion and garlic. I omitted the baking soda, because my cormeal was self rising. I also omitted the butter and used all the bacon fat. I just got only 10 not 12.
perfect! I hosted an early playgroup this morning and served these to the mommies!They were a hit! Thanks