Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
I had ground beef thawed, a 1/2 used can of chipotle in adobo and didn't know what to make. I honestly didn't even think about using the chipotles until I came across a recipe here using them. I didn't really follow that recipe much though :-) I looked at around 20 burger recipes trying to decide what to do. As I started looking, I started writing a list of the items from each recipe that sounded good. Then I put them together and made this. I found that my Kaiser rolls had molded and had to do a "quick bread change" and I think it came out better for it. The handsome man (DB) liked it so much he asked me to write it down immediately, then he had me read it back to him to make sure I didn't forget anything LOL.
- 4 slices red onions, finely sliced
- 6 slices tomatoes
- 6 slices bacon
- 4 slices sourdough bread, toasted
- 2 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup shiraz wine (syrah)
- 1⁄2 cup portabella mushroom, sliced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce (from can of chipotle in adobo)
- 3 chipotle peppers, diced (from can)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1⁄4 cup ranch dressing, I used Hidden Valley Ranch
- 1 tablespoon dried chipotle powder
- Mix all ingredients for meat together in a medium sized bowl. Allow to sit while preparing other items.
- Mix all ingredients for dressing. Place into refrigerator until ready to use.
- Slice tomatoes, onions & mushrooms.
- Melt butter under medium heat, add olive oil & syrah, saute mushrooms until cooked & slightly browned. Set aside.
- Cook bacon. I prefer to fry it but use whatever method you prefer. Set aside.
- Toast sour dough bread.
- Form meat into two large patties the same shape as your bread.
- Place patties on pre-heated grill & grill until moderately charred on the outside and medium or medium rare on the inside.
- When patties are almost done place cheese on patties. Cook until melted.
- Spread dressing on bread, to the thickness you prefer.
- Place patty on bread along with all toppings (mushrooms, bacon, tomatoes, & onions.
Really GOOD burger. Couldn't find dried chipotle powder, so we mixed a tablespoon of chili sauce and a teaspoon of adobo sauce with the ranch dressing. Worked very well. Will continue to look for the chipotle powder for the next time we make these tasty burgers. Thanks for the keeper.