Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
A great Appetizer to have on hand. Great as a side dish for soup too.
- 6 slices bacon, fried crisp and chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds, toasted if desired
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 loaf French bread
- Slice french bread into 1 inch slices.
- Combine remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Spread 1-2 Tablespoons of topping onto each slice of bread.
- Lay slices on a cookie sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 5-10 minutes or until topping is bubbling and starting to brown.
- OR TO MAKE AHEAD: flash freeze bread on a cookie sheet before baking; transfer to large freezer bag and label; bake from frozen on a cookie sheet for 10-15 minutes as above.
Love these as an evening snack. Omitted the onion and subbed precooked bacon pieces. Toasted the almonds. Been making something similar to this for years, and the idea of adding almonds and worcestershire sauce intrigued me.
Mmmmmmm, good! Used the food processor to mix all, as I was in a hurry. I think I will do that the next time we have these, too. So easy! Followed recipe ingredients exactly. Will not have to change a thing. These went extremely well with Nicole's Creamy Tomato Soup. Great combo. Thnx for posting, *Pamela*!
Halfed the recipe and glad I did they were just OK. Nothing like I thought they would be. Doubt if I make them again