Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
From a friend...
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons cold butter, cut into pieces
- 5 slices cooked bacon, crisp and crumbled
- 3⁄4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 450~.
- Grease a large baking sheet.
- Into a bowl combine flour, baking powder, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
- Blend butter into flour with pastry cutter until mixture resembles meal.
- Stir in bacon and cheese, then add buttermilk and stir until mixture just forms a dough.
- Gather dough into a ball and on a lightly floured surface knead gently 8 times.
- Pat out dough into a 6 X 5 inch rectangle.
- Cut dough into 9 rectangles and arrange
- about 1 inch apart on baking sheet.
- Bake biscuits in middle of oven 15 minutes or until golden brown.
I made a full recipe of these tasty biscuits for our brunch today, added garlic powder = to 1 clove to the mix, brushed them lightly w/butter warm from the oven & then served them w/cheese scrambled eggs + fruit. I did have some issues in the prep when the finished dough seemed too crumbly & dry to me, so I also added 2 extra tbsp of buttermilk & all was fine. My dough was too lrg to get a 6x5 rectangle, but I did manage an 8x5 one & got 12 lrg biscuits. Fresh-snipped chives was another thot I had for a further add & I will prob try that next time. Thx for sharing this great recipe w/us.