Prep 5 mins
Cook 14 mins
Quick American pizza. Romano tomatoes are good in this recipe as well.
Make and share this Bacon, Cheddar, and Tomato Pita Pizzas recipe from Food.com.
- 10 slices bacon, coarsley chopped
- 6 whole whole wheat pita bread (6-7 inches in diameter)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 6 thin slices red onions
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until crisp, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Removed with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Place unsplit pita breads, concave sides up on a baking sheeet.
- Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with basil.
- Divide onion, tomatoes, and bacon over pitas and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake about 8 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Grind pepper over pizza and cut into wedges to serve.
This reminds me slightly of the Italian stone oven pizzas. I use a basting brush to evenly coat the pita rather than drizzle oil randomly. I also seperated the ringlets of the onion and spread them around the pita.I also do the tomatoes very thin.THe kids love this, hubby too. I make this often using pepperoni instead of bacon to speed up the prep time.
Wonderful. We grow Roma tomatos only. I tried this with fresh basil from our garden... my wife tells me that it caused a near riot at her work.... Works for me. I use the Roma tomatos from our garden, and fresh basil from my patio. Don't bother cutting into wedges... I just fold it in half like a gyro...