This is a delicious sandwich that will satisfy your bacon and cheese craving, with caramelized onion for extra flavor. This recipe is a little time consuming and you have to keep your eye on the onion and bacon, but it's well worth it.
- Place bacon on a baking sheet lined with foil. Place in cold oven and set oven to 400°F
- While the bacon is cooking, heat a skillet or small saucepan to medium heat. Add butter. Once the butter starts to melt, add the onion. Cook onion, stirring frequently, about 15-20 minutes or until a caramel color develops and onions are very soft. Add more butter as needed.
- After 15 minutes, check on the bacon. If it is cooked to your liking, remove the baking sheet from the oven and place bacon on a plate lined with paper towels. Set aside.
- 1-2 minutes before the onions have finished cooking, place cheese slices on top of the onions and allow to melt.
- If using, spread mayonnaise on each slice of bread. Place bacon on one slice of bread, then top with the onion and cheese. Top with other slice of bread to form a sandwich.