Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Southern Living. This is so wonderful with fresh butterbeans and fresh off the vine tomatoes. I serve this with other fresh garden veggies and cornbread. Great summer supper.
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups fresh butter beans or 4 cups frozen butter beans, thawed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce (I use Tabasco)
- Cook bacon in a Dutch oven until crisp.
- Stir in onion and next 3 ingredients; saute until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in tomato, and cook 3 minutes.
- Stir in broth and butterbeans; bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes.
- Simmer, uncovered 20 minutes stirring often.
- Stir in parsley and remaining ingredients.
- Cook stirring often, 5 minutes; discard bay leaf.
I added mushrooms when frying the onions. Later in the stewing stage, I added corn, slivered almonds, and a dash or two of creole seasoning. Good stuff!
YUMMMMMM!! Made this over the weekend with fresh from the garden butterbeans and tomatoes. Served it over cornbread. Wonderful southern dish. I think the bacon and garlic make this extra-special. Outstanding. Thanks NurseDi.
I got a bushel of fresh butter beans last summer that are frozen in my freezer. I am always looking for new ways to cook them, and this recipe is fantastic. My toddler devours them when I make this recipe. I don't change anything about the recipe and we love it! Thanks!