Found on TOH...intriguing idea for a brittle.
Make and share this Bacon Brittle recipe from Food.com.
- Grease or butter a large nonstick baking sheet.
- In a medium heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup and water over medium heat.
- Stir until the sugar dissolves and the syrup comes to a boil.
- Attach a candy thermometer to the pan, increase the heat to high, and cook, without stirring, until the mixture reaches 290 degrees.
- Immediately remove from the heat.
- Stir in the butter, vanilla, baking soda, pecans and bacon bits.
- Watch out, as the mixture will foam.
- When the foam subsides, pour the hot mixture onto the prepared baking sheet as thinly as possible.
- Do not use a spatula.
- Cool at least 10 minutes before breaking into pieces.
- Store in a covered container.
So good! I didn't know what to expect, but I do like it. I would even put in more pecans and more bacon but it was good as is. I made this exactly as listed, I even bought a candy thermometer! Very clear instructions and very much enjoyed. Made for my adopted chef for Fall PAC 2009. Thanks Nonnie! :)