Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Perfect for brunch, the bacon in these scones offers a savory twist. If using frozen blueberries, do not thaw them. From Taste of Home Simple and Delicious.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄3 cup cold butter
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup fresh blueberries or 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 4 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, whisk buttermilk and oil; add to crumb mixture. Stir in blueberries and bacon.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times. Pat into an 8-in circle. Cut into eight wedges. Separate wedges and place on a greased baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, beat egg and milk; brush over scones. Bate at 425°F for 12 to 15 minutes or untilo golden brown. Serve warm.
Absolutely wonderful scones, these! I pretty much followed the recipe but did use slightly more than half a cup of Homrel's Real Bacon Pieces along with frozen blueberries! Easy to make & great eating! I'll definitely be making these again! Thanks for sharing this great recipe! [Made & reviewed in Zaar Cookbook recipe tag]
This is a great scone recipe, which is why it gets all the stars from me. They rose beautifully and had a perfect texture, even though I used 1/2 white wheat flour and 1/2 spelt flour. The bacon was an interesting novelty; DH thought it was pretty cool! I didn't get a whole lot of bacon flavor in mine, though that could be because I used turkey bacon. At any rate they were enjoyed by all--thanks for posting, cookiedog! Made for Best of 2010 tag from loof's favorites!
What a great scone recipe! These had the perfect texture and I love the combo of salty bacon and sweet blueberries. Except for the fruit these were not all that sweet which I think is a good thing. Really enjoyed these - thanks for sharing the recipe! Made for ZWT6, Zwizzle Chicks