Recipe by :)Shirl(:
I use this as a low carb meal, using cawliflower. But you can easily substitute diced cooked potatoes. Enjoy.
Top Review by Kerfuffle-Upon-Wincle
I love blue cheese, and this chowder is really delicious! I used a half pound of bacon, half the mushrooms, half the chicken broth and half and half amounts called for, but all of the remaining ingredients ~ I added 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes! Possibly, if one pound of bacon had been used, I would not have added the salt ~ Made for Bay, Herb/Spice for February 2010, in the French Forum.
- 1 lb bacon
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 leeks
- 1⁄4 cup carrot
- 5 cups mushrooms
- 60 ounces chicken broth
- 1 quart half-and-half
- 10 ounces blue cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut bacon into small pieces. In large stock pot over medium heat cook bacon until crisp. Drain off fat.
- Chop onions, slice leeks lengthwise clean and chop. Add onions,leeks, thyme, bay leaves and garlic to pot with bacon. Saute until onions are translucent.
- Cut cauliflower into small florets, grate carrots and slice mushrooms. Add florets, carrots and mushrooms to pot and saute for 5-10 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and cook until vegetables are done.
- Add blue cheese and cook until blue cheese melts.
- Pour in half and half turn heat to low and cook approx 10-15 minutes until heated throughly.
- I have been known to add any kind of fish that will hold together. Delicious on a cold rainy night. This makes a big batch, but when i fix it we have it for dinner then lunch the next day.