Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is an inexpensive solution to buying prepackaged bags of bacon bits. It is very convenient and time saving.
- Fry bacon (or cook in microwave) until bacon is crisp.
- Blot with paper towel to absorb excess grease.
- Crumble and store in ziploc bag in freezer for whenever you need bacon bits!
- I don't add the bacon grease; however, I need two ingredients for the recipe!
- This is not so much a correction as it is an addition we have recently discovered.We will now leave the bacon whole in the plastic ziploc. If we want bacon and eggs we just take what we want and heat in microwave. If we want some for salads we just crumble and use.
I already cooked my own bacon to use instead of buying them. I love the tip to freeze them. I will definitely be trying that. I just cooked mine enough for a few days in the refrigerator. Thanks for the time-saving tip.
What a handy idea. I started doing this shortly after seeing your tip. I cook up an entire package and freeze the remainder. I find it easy to put together a BLT, use for bacon and eggs or as a garnish for bits. It only takes a minute to warm in the microwave. Thanks for the handy tip!