Recipe by shelbyrose
When DH received Steven Raichlen's 'How To Grill Barbecue Bible' cookbook as a gift, this was the first thing he made. So simple, yet an elegant appetizer. The flavors are to die for! (you'll want to soak the skewers for about an hour, so plan a little ahead)
- 24 extra-large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 24 fresh basil leaves
- 24 slices bacon (thin slices)
- 24 bamboo skewers (8 to 10 inches long)
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak skewers in cold water for 1 hour.
- Rinse shrimp in cold water; pat dry with paper towels.
- Take a shrimp, hold it in a stretched-out position with one hand.
- Start at the tail end and insert a bamboo skewer into the shrimp so that it runs the full length, unbending the shrimp with your fingers as you go.
- Place a basil leaf on the back (the formerly rounded part) of the shrimp.
- Wrap with a slice of bacon, spiral fashion, starting at the top and turning the skewer to wind it on.
- Tuck in the bottom end to secure the bacon on the shrimp.
- Repeat this process with the remaining shrimp.
- Preheat grill to high.
- When ready to cook, arrange the shrimp on the hot grate, placing a folded sheet of aluminum foil under the exposed portion of the skewers to keep them from burning.
- Grill until bacon is nicely browned and shrimp are cooked through (4 to 8 minutes) turning several times to ensure even cooking.