Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
Too good not to post!
- 4 small sweet onions, Vidalia preferred
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and slivered
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 8 teaspoons butter
- black pepper, freshly ground
- cajun seasoning
- 8 slices bacon, thin sliced
- If preparing in the oven, preheat oven to 350 degree F. Trim and peel the onion but leave the root intact. Cut a very thin sliver off of the root end if you need to level the onion so it will stand upright. Cut about a 1 inch core out of the top of the onion.
- Peel garlic and cut into slivers. Stuff one clove into each onion. Place the onion onto a square of foil large enough to wrap around the onion and enclose the top. Double wrap if cooking on the grill.
- Drizzle the top with balsamic vinegar, then place about 2 teaspoons of butter into the center of each onion. Season lightly with salt, pepper and Cajun seasoning.
- Wrap each onion with one slice of thin bacon, then another slice, securing with a toothpick if needed.
- Bring the sides of the foil up and twist the tops to seal. Place onto a hot grill or bake on a tray in a preheated 350 degree F oven for 1 hour. Carefully open the tops of the packets and return to the oven for 20 minutes to crisp up the bacon.
- Serve as is in the packets, one per person, or use a spatula to remove onions to a serving platter, pouring the juices over the top. Enjoy!