Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Recipe from: Best of Gourmet 1993 (Condé Nast)
- 2⁄3 cup finely chopped seeded tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onions
- 1 jalapeno chile, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh coriander
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice or 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 slices lean bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 small avocado (preferably California)
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely grated monterey jack cheese (about 2 ounces)
- In a small bowl stir together the tomato, the onion, the jalapeno, the coriander, the lime juice, and salt and pepper to taste until the salsa is combined well.
- In a bowl whisk together the eggs, the water, and salt and pepper to taste.
- In an 8-inch skillet, preferably non-stick, heat 1/2 tablespoon of the butter over moderately high heat until the foam subsides, pour in half the egg mixture, tilting the skillet to spread the mixture evenly over the bottom, and cook it for 1 minute, or until it is almost set.
- Sprinkle half the omelet with half the bacon, half the avocado, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces, and half the Monterey Jack and cook the omelet for 1 minute, or until it is set.
- Fold the omelet over the filling, transfer it to a plate, and keep it warm.
- Make another omelet in the same manner with the remaining butter, egg mixture, bacon, avocado, and Monterey Jack and serve the omelets with the salsa.
We enjoyed this. I loved the salsa flavour. I didn't have fresh coriander so I used abit of dried & it worked ok. I cut back the red onion (DH finds them powerful) but increased 1 egg & added a couple thin ham slices. Easy to put together & very tasty, thanks for sharing.
I made this past summer and it was excellent to flavors blended so well. Having the same group overnite and I will serve this again to them. Its a hit
A Delicious, Tasty, Yummy Omelet. Easy to make I used my canned salsa for the salsa for the omelet. Then used Havarti jalapeno & some cheddar for the cheese. This added a lot of flavor. The avocado & bacon is a very tasty addition to this omelet. I will be making this again & again as we loved it.