Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
A creamy, spicy pasta sauce with healthy veggies to make up for the delicious bacon! I created the recipe when the right ingredients just happened to be in my fridge, in memory of a lovely arrabiata spice blend I purchased in Italy long ago. Improvise as needed to fit what you have on hand. I use Limoncello, an Italian liquer, to deglaze the pan, instead of white wine and lemon. You can also use half and half instead of cream or omit the cream altogether.
- 10 ounces penne pasta
- 1⁄2 cup cooked bacon, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or 3 tablespoons bacon grease
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 10 cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups chard leaves or 2 cups spinach or 2 cups kale, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup Italian parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Boil water and cook pasta according to package directions.
- Saute garlic and mushrooms in olive oil or bacon grease in a pan large enough to fit all the veggies. Season with salt and pepper.
- When mushrooms are soft and brown, remove pan from heat, set mushrooms aside in a small bowl.
- Add white wine and lemon juice to the hot pan and stir with a spoon to deglaze the pan. Return to the heat.
- Add bell pepper, peas, dried herbs, cream and milk. Saute over medium heat until veggies are crisp tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add bacon, mushrooms, chard and parsley. Cook until greens are wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Serve over pasta, with bread so you can mop up all the yummy sauce!