1/4 Photos of Bacon Apple Pie
Da Huz's Note:
...with delicious, crispy bacon lattice! Other bacon apple pie recipes call for bacon to be crumbled into the pie filling, but this one uses a bacon weave on top for an extra crispy treat. NOTE: this recipe calls for canned pie filling and frozen pie crust, but feel free to make your own. Home-made is better, but pre-made is better than nothing.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- 2Mix apple pie filling, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and lemon juice in a bowl and pour into pie crust (in a pie pan or tin). Smooth with a spatula.
- 3Create bacon weave on top of pie: Lay two strips across the pie so that they intersect in the middle and are at right angles. Turn the pie so that the lower strip points toward you. Continue adding more bacon to the left and the right, creating an alternating over-under pattern with the single strip that runs side-to-side.
- 4At this point, there should five or six strips of bacon pointing toward the front of the pie and one strip running side-to-side which weaves over and under the other five or six strips.
- 5Begin laying a strip of bacon next to the on running side-to-side. Start at one end and create an over-under pattern opposite the first one by lifting up alternating strips, laying this piece down, and replacing the strips you lifted. Continue on both sides until the pie is completely covered in a bacon lattice with an alternating over-under weave.
- 6Trim the ends that hang over the sides. Save these trimmings for use in recipes that call for diced bacon (you can freeze them).
- 7Bake 45-60 minutes, or until bacon is crispy and completely cooked. You may want to bake this over a baking sheet in case apple or bacon grease ooze over the sides.
- 8Cool for 10 minutes before serving. Serve with caramel praline, dulce de leche, or similar ice cream. If desired, you can cooked up the bacon trimmings and garnish the ice cream with them.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bacon Apple Pie
Serving Size: 1 (95 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 229.4
- Calories from Fat 108
- Total Fat 12.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 6.8 mg
- Sodium 226.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 11.0 g
- Protein 2.6 g