Prep 30 mins
Cook 22 mins
- 473.18 ml all-purpose flour
- 6.16 ml baking soda
- 1.23 ml salt
- 1.23 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 8 slice bacon, coarsely chopped
- 78.07 ml unsalted butter
- 473.18 ml chopped peeled tart-sweet apples (Braeburn, Gala, Pippin)
- 44.37 ml sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Line 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and pepper.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat, stirring, until crisp.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a small bowl.
- Add butter to the bacon fat in skillet and melt over medium heat.
- Add apples and cook, stirring frequently, for 4-5 minutes or until softened.
- Remove from heat and return bacon to pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sugar, egg, and buttermilk until well blended.
- Add the egg mixture and bacon mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just blended.
- Divide batter equally among prepared muffin cups.
- Bake in preheated oven for 19-22 minutes or until tops are golden and a pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes, then transfer to the rack to cool.