Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Easy pasta bake that I often fall back on when I want dinner ready quickly. When in a rush after work I microwave the vegetables to soften but if you have time I think that the end result is better if you sauté them. Sometimes I'll add some Italian Herbs to this. But its really just a lazy dinner.
- 500 g dry penne pasta
- 737 g passata (I use the best quality I can)
- 6 slices bacon, rinds removed
- 150 g Baby Spinach
- 250 g button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 zucchini, trimmed and diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, trimmed and diced
- 1 red capsicum (bell pepper)
- 3 cups cheese, grated (I mix 1/2 cup parmesan and one and a bit cups of tasty and cheddar)
- Preheat oven to 200°C (190°C fan forced). Grease a 6cm deep, 28cm x 35cm baking dish.
- Cook pasta to packet directions in lots of salted water.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon under grill until brown and almost crispy, chop and set aside.
- Add zucchini, carrot and celery to a microwave safe bowl with a dash of water, cover and microwave on high for 4 - 5 minutes or until carrot is tender.
- Drain pasta and return to the pot. Add zucchini, carrot, celery, mushrooms, capsicum, baby spinach, bacon and passata and stir to combine.
- Add to greased baking dish and top with cheese. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden. Serve with salad and garlic bread if you have the time or inclination.
PAC 2010 choice for me and a keeper. Very simple recipe and full of flavor. I doubled the recipe and froze some.