Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 hrs
Adapted from Linda Larsen. If you want breakfast done more quickly, you can also bake this in the oven (read reviews for more specifics).
- 1 lb frozen tater tots
- 1⁄2 lb diced Canadian bacon
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 6 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons flour
- salt and pepper
- In 4-5 quart crock pot, layer ingredients in order: one third of the tater tots, bacon, onions, green peppers, and cheeses. Repeat layers two more times, ending with cheeses.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, and flour and beat with whisk or egg beater until combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour mixture over layers in crock pot.
- Cover crock pot and cook on low. The cooking time may take anywhere from four hours to overnight, depending on your crock pot.
I made this for Christmas morning and when I woke up it was a crock pot of mush. I threw the recipe together again and baked it in the oven at 350 for a hour and it turned out better.
I followed the recipe as written. The estimate of 10-12 hours on the low setting is way off--mine was overdone at 6 hours. Next time I'll check after 4. The result was tasty, but the tater tots had lost structural integrity and turned into a homogeneous mass of little potato bits. As long as you're ok with that, the recipe is fine.
At first I wasn't going to review this since I didn't use the crockpot (too lazy to set it up the night before!), but I used the same ingredients and layered them in a skillet. I did this on the stovetop in a deep skillet, browning the tater tots and ham and onions first. Then I layered the ingredients in the pan and put a lid on it and cooked it over a medium flame for about 20 minutes (till it was set - I didn't actually time it precisely) then when it was finished I uncovered it and put it in a hot oven for a couple minutes to set the top (a broiler would be better, but mine is stupid, so I didn't use it.) The family loved it!