Recipe by sweetcakes
This is not your usual scalloped potato recipe! Try it, you'll be glad you did!
Top Review by NorthwestGal
These were positively the most fantastic scalloped potatoes I've had in a very long time. The Swiss cheese and bacon gave the potatoes t a nice flavor boost, and the half-and-half made it all so creamy and tender. I will definitely make this often. Thanks for another great recipe, sweetcakes. Made for Spring 2010 Pick-A-Chef.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled, sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
- 2 1⁄2 cups grated swiss cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups half-and-half
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350F and butter a 9x13 in casserole dish with 1 1/2 Tbsp butter.
- Layer the bottom of the casserole dish with 1/3 of the potato slices. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Layer on 1/2 of the sliced onions and 1/2 cup of the Swiss cheese. Layer on 1/2 of the bacon, 1/2 of the parsley.Sprinkle with a little of the Parmesan.
- Repeat by layering on 1/3 of the potato slices, sprinkle again with salt and pepper. Layer on the remaining sliced onions, 1/2 cup of the Swiss cheese, the remaining bacon, parsley and sprinkle with Parmesean.
- Top with the remaining potato slices. Add the half and half. Dot the potatoes with the remaining 1 1/2 Tbsp of butter.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for one hour. Remove the foil and sprinkle on the remaining Swiss and Parmesean cheese. Return to the oven for an additional 40 minutes.
- When done, the potatoes should be tender and liquid mostly absorbed.