Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Did someone say "Bacon"?!! This is my new favorite au gratin recipe... I will never make another recipe again! So good! How can you go wrong with bacon?
- 3 lbs potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick (about 6 medium potatoes)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream (or milk is fine)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- 2 cups swiss cheese, shredded
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Butter a large casserole dish.
- Place potatoes in even layers in casserole dish. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder as you layer.
- In a medium sauce pan, melt butter on medium heat. Add flour and whisk. Cook for about 1 minute. Add milk and bacon and stir until slightly thickened. Poor over potatoes and top with Swiss cheese. Cover and bake for 1 1/2 hours. Uncover and broil, if desired. Let sit for a few minutes and then dig in!
- Tip: keep your potatoes in a bowl of water until you are ready to use to prevent browning. And you don't have to peel your potatoes -- more vitamins that way. Enjoy!