Recipe by Chef shapeweaver �
I was wanting to do something different with Au Gratin potatoes, and this is what came out of the dark regions of my brain ;).Cook time doesn't include the cooking of the bacon. And don't let the long list of instructions scare you, it's alot easier than it looks :). If you like you can leave the skins of the potatoes on.The 10 minute " rest " time is included in the prep time. Submitted to " ZAAR " on October 16, 2009.
- 6 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 3 1⁄2 cups thinly sliced potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄3 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded swiss cheese, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small saucepan melt margarine,then add onion and cook until soft,at this time add flour.
- Stir in the milk a little at a time until slightly thickened.
- Add 1 cup of cheese,bacon,mustard, and cayenne pepper.
- Stir until cheese is melted, if mixture seems to be too thick add a bit more milk to thin it out some.
- In a lightly greased or sprayed 1 1/2 quart baking dish layer half of the potatoes, then sprinkle with half of the salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Pour half of the cheese sauce over the potatoes and repeat with remaining ingredients, finishing with the cheese sauce.
- Cover and bake for 45 minutes at 375 degrees remove cover, top with remaining 1/2 cup of swiss cheese and bake for another 15 to 20 minutes or until top is golden brown.
- Let " rest " for 10 minutes, serve and ENJOY !