Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This came from Gourmet Magazine. Yummy served warm with butter, & some nice, hot soup. Prep time may not be 20mins for you, but that's how long it took me.
- 1⁄4 lb sliced lean bacon
- 1⁄3 cup thinly sliced scallion
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon double-acting baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- Cook bacon until it is crispy.
- Blot with paper towels& crumble it.
- Drain off all but 1 tablespoon of the fat from the skillet, and use remaining bacon grease to cook the onion over moderately low heat, stirring, until it is softened.
- Into a bowl sift together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another bowl whisk together the eggs, butter, sour cream, and milk.
- Stir in bacon, onion, and cornmeal mixture, and beat the batter well.
- Divide the batter among 12 well-buttered 1/3-cup muffin tins and bake the muffins in the middle of a preheated 425 degree F.
- oven for 20 minutes, or until they are golden.
- Turn the muffins out onto a rack and let them cool.
I chose to make this for an Ausi Swap. These were o.k. for us. Different but yet good.